Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Grocery Shopping for Mother Hubbard's Cupboards

I wont write about the wedding. Don't worry.
I'll start with my first trip to the grocery store. I didn't go anywhere cool and hip like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. I went to Wal-Mart. Sorry, it's the cheapest and most convenient. I'm sure I'll need organic vegan rice at some point.....
Anyway, I stopped at the grocery store on my way home from work on Monday, the first Monday back from the honeymoon. I grabbed the shopping cart, put my purse where the kids sit and felt like a real adult. I mean a real, legitimate grown up for the first time. It was a very primal sense of pride; I was out to gather food for my family. I'll never forget that moment.
I'll also never forget thinking "now what the hell should I gather?" I had a cupboard full of dry goods that my good friend gave me when she moved. Lots of Lipton Soup mixes, Hamburger Helpers and rice. A few weeks ago I bought milk, eggs, a loaf of bread, peanut butter, grape jelly and oreos. I bought all that so my when my parents came for the wedding, they wouldnt just see the cases of Miller Lite and Heineken in my fridge and think I was living like some poor college student.
Lately I've felt compelled to make a pot roast for some reason. I wandered the "meat" section for a while and was really confused as to which hunk of red meat was a "roast". Do you put steak in a crock pot? Then I found a pot roast kit... a little hunk of meat with pre chopped potatoes, carrots and onions with a packet of seasoning. I was tempted but decided to carry on as planned and venture on my own. This is what I walked away with that day.
Two frozen pizzas (ha), ice cream, an assortment of frozen veggies, a ham roast, a rump roast, frozen chicken breasts, frozen shrimp, hot dogs (for mikey- later found out they're beef dogs and he prefers pork: note to self!), bacon, tasteycakes, instant oatmeal, sugar, popcorn, canned artichoke hearts (they just looked good), minced garlic, corn muffin mix, honey, honey nut cheerios, bisquick, syrup, vegetable oil, cinnamin rolls (in the tube), corn starch (isnt that something you're supposed to have?), package of salad mix, mushrooms, bananas, sack of potatoes, various pasta noodles (including lasagna- stay tuned for that adventure!), peanut butter m&m's (for mikey), pam spray, baking soda (again, necessary right? what for? no clue), extra virgin olive oil, ranch dressing, pasta sauces, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes.
Next was fitting all this into my cabinets that are full with insane amounts of glasses, china, mixing bowls, caserole dishes and tupperware. Still working on the best way to orgainze my kitchen. I have a very domestic friend I might call for help on this. She is the only person I know in the world who has a cute pantry. seriously. Shannon Schreiber- expect a call from me soon!
Also- if anyone knows what I can actually make with the stuff I bought- that'd be great! thanks!

2 comments:

  1. You will adjust just fine! After three years, I am still trying to balance my desire for organic locally grown food and Mark's cravings for all things processed. Evolving into a cook for two is not easy, but you will certainly succeed! I will gather some resources for you soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy cow that was a ton of food! isnt it nice having another paycheck to foot the bill haha. ill send ya some receipes and you will do just great. pretty soon you will be giving my wifery tips!

    ReplyDelete